Updated: Mar 31
Saira Khan, presenter of Loose Women, has said she is not a practicing Muslim. She is now being faced with death threats and abuse, which she has posted on her Social Media. Whilst it saddens me to read this, it doesn't shock me. Unfortunately, this seems to be the norm when coming out as ex-Muslim.
If you are ever planning on coming out as ex-Muslim, think long and hard about your support network, as it isn't easy. I kept note of things people said to me, when I first came out 5 years ago. I have omitted any where the people who said them can be identified. Nothing can prepare you for it. I imagine part of it is out of anger, and some of it is to make you feel bad enough to go back. But it this went on for months, until I cut contact for a very long time.
- You’re a fucking bitch, I hope you fucking burn in hell.
- I have never met anyone so selfish in my life
- You make out you are the victim
- Everyone everyday pretends to be something they are not, we do it for the sake of family
- The path you’re on will lead to no good and no happiness
- You have ruined your life
- I don’t think you get the seriousness of the step you have taken.
- When you left Islam, you left us.
- How can you think you can leave Islam and not leave us – what kind of Muslims do you take us for.
- You have caused so much pain
- When you are burning in the fire in hell you will regret this.
- I will not support you anymore, you will never be happy.
- No man will ever love you.
- You just want to have sex with everyone. You’re a prostitute.
- You have no family anymore.
- We will tell people you have died.
- Why would you do this to us? What have we ever not done for you that you repay us like this?
- If I was you I would kill myself.
- You have no morals. You are a kuffar. They are the worst kind of people, they belong in the hell fire.
At the time I went through this, I thought I would never feel okay. But here I am 5 years later, alive and living the life I want (well, sort of, we are still in Lockdown!).